Voip Vs Landlines
This article aims to inform the reader on the pros and cons of the different infrastructures.
By now we have all heard about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), what some people may not know is what VoIP is and how it can benefit them.
VoIP calls require an internet connection, an IP phone and an IP PBX, or a soft phone as well as an active VoIP account.
VoIP is a method of calling almost anyone in the world from almost anywhere in the world, using an internet connection. The call does not rely on a fixed land line to be initiated, this means that you can even use a mobile internet connection and initiate the call in a manner of ways.
VoIP calling has a few advantages over the traditional landline.
- Generally lower cost
- Plenty service providers which helps keep service levels at their peak
- Make calls from a PC
- Often free calls between a company’s different branches
- Easy and cheap to setup for satellite staff
Whilst these are very attractive positives to most people, there are still a couple of downsides to take into consideration.
- You need an internet connection
- You may experience some choppy calls on unstable internet
- You may need to replace your existing infrastructure
There is still a place for landlines in your business and home, even though it may be considered older technology it still has a few benefits.
- It is able to function without power for a while
- Consistent quality of calls
- Infrastructure is readily available in most buildings
These positive points are not without the negatives.
- Copper theft, weather conditions and degradation of old infrastructure can affect service
- Reduced mobility, even with a wireless phone
- “Crossed lines” occur occasionally
The great thing about newer technology is that it is still able to integrate with older technology in order to overcome some of its shortfalls. This comes in the form of hybrid systems, which utilise both technologies and provide great stability and call quality at a reduced rate.
Man3000 offers a variety of cost tables which you can import and track the cost of your calls accurately, this ensures that you don’t have to wait for the end of the month to see what your bill is going to be. Man3000 DHS also offers a fantastic cost comparison report, this allows you to compare up to 10 different providers, so that you can see which would be the cheapest for specific calls and shows you which calls are cheaper on your VoIP lines.
If you would like some more information on how Man3000 can save you and your clients some money, get in contact with us today.
+27 (0) 11 436 8100